Saturday, April 10, 2010

My Rant About Weight Loss



I love to eat out.  Why? Because I hate to cook!  I hate getting all that food out, cooking it, and then cleaning up all the mess.  Most of the time what I cook doesn't taste as good as a restruant meal anyway.  But I have discoverd why that is.  Most restruants know how to keep you coming back for more.  First of all, they season everything with salt and then to add insult to injury, they add fat when they cook or fry.  These two ingredients are two of the most powerful ingredients to add weight onto the ole tush.  I speak from experience.

When we moved to Delaware 20 some years ago and I went to work fulltime, I told my husband I wasn't going to cook much during the week and certainly not on weekends!  We always did go out for breakfast on Saturday and Sunday, but then it started Friday night dinner, the Wednesday night, then the Monday night special at one restruant, and the buy one, get one free at the pizza place on Tuesday.  Boy!  Did I ever put on the pounds over the years.  And in all honesty, I ate what they served.  And if you don't know this by now, restruants overfeed you.

So then I decided to start an exercise program and away I went to wear myself out everyday.  For 45 minutes each day I'd sweat and huff and puff and when I got on the scale, it would laugh.  And I would cry.  Years before, my doctor had diagnosed and treated me for Thyroid disease.  I took medicine for years until they said the numbers weren't holding so I had to have it treated with radiation.  That knocked out my thyroid and now I take a hormone replacement.  I was told I would lose the weight I had gained.  After all those years, I didn't lose one pound even with all the exercises.

So then I started watching what I ate.  I knew there must be a way.  I cut out all candy, pie, cake--desserts at the restruants, etc. No more donuts!  Still no loss.  I became so frustrated that I gave up.  I felt that the doctors had lied to me and didn't know what they were doing.

Then I heard about the Lap Band.  Well, I didn't want that and I didn't want that drastic gastric bypass.  But a new procedure gave me a lot of hope.  So on December 23, 2009 I had a sleeve gastrectomy.  Simply put, I had half of my stomach removed surgically.  I was qualified for it because I had gotten so fat, my BMI was in the risky part of the scale.  This was a desparate attempt to help save my life. Really.

I don't have one regret.  I feel it was the best thing I could have done for myself.  As of today, I've lost 39 pounds!  I feel good about myself and that is something I haven't felt in a long, long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment