Sunday, April 11, 2010

Emotional Eating

Did you know that people who are overweight are not always overweight because of hormones being out of balance?  Did you know that some people who are overweight overeat because they just don't know when to stop eating?  Did you know that people who constantly eat are not always hungry (physically)?

Emotions can wreck havoc on us when we choose to keep them all inside.  We stuff them down with a donut or a danish -- the list is endless -- and one day we wake up to the fact that we are just plain overweight and wonder how did it happen?
Emotional eating is no different from drinking or gambling or smoking or doing drugs.  Some people use food as a drug to help relieve the emotional pain they know is there but are too afraid or too unaware to face.

When I first started to want to lose weight, I knew it wasn't all coming from the diagnosis of hypothyroidism.  I had to have my thyroid treated with radiation and in doing so, it killed the function of it.  Even though the blood work numbers are usually in the normal range, I couldn't lose weight for anything.  I knew something else was behind it so I set out to find the missing piece of the puzzle.

I came across a book, "Shrink Yourself" by Dr. Roger Gould.  If you are an emotional eater and want some good advise, want to find true freedom I suggest this book.  I have studied psychology subjects over the years; actually, I have a Master's Degree in Clinical Christian Counseling, so this book just helped me in order to help other people.  Dr. Gould deals with the heart of the matter of why we do overeat. 

This is an excellent book, an  in-depth look at what makes us "tick" and how to overcome a very what-could-be deadly habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment